About Me

My photo
This blog is a personal space where I can post some of my photos and talk about some of my favorite things. I have many interests, including, but not limited to: The Western Mystery Tradition, Rosicrucianism, Gnosticism, Modern Chinese Medicine, Photography, Music, Chess, Computers, ad infinitum..... I love to read, hate television, but do enjoy good movies. Newest entries are always posted on the top of page.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Blessed and Grateful

Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year since I've interacted with this blog!!! And what a year it has been. I feel somewhat ashamed of myself for not continuing this blog while undergoing the ordeal of the interferon/ribavirin combo therapy. Not because I let a large readership down...LOL...hard to do that when you can count on your fingers the number of readers on any given day. However, I do wish I had kept blogging during the ordeal of interferon therapy, if only to encourage just one person or two it would have been worth it.

Well, to quickly bring things up to date I did finish the entire course of combo therapy and gratefully had full response as within two months my viral load was cleared and remained so throughout the remainder of the therapy. This past Monday, two days ago, I received the blessed news that my viral load was still clear after submitting the six months post interferon blood sample :-) (actually at the time I had my blood drawn it had been 7 months since I finished the interferon therapy).I can't begin to convey just how blessed I feel, to finally be free of the "flu like" symptoms I've had off and on all these years. Oh yes, thankfully enough my liver enzymes are now completely within normal limits on the lab test, this after being chronically elevated for years.

During the course of therapy it was a real struggle at times. Many times I really had to lean on my loving and patient wife for support in order to keep going, not to mention she was my memory many times, during the six month protocol she made sure I did not miss a single dose. The main side effects I experienced were body aches, lethargy, malaise, depression, "brain fog" and mainly just a loss of vitality. I didn't care whether I even bathed at times much less whether or not I continued this blog. The entire experience was very humbling since besides the love and encouragement I received from my wife, my friends at work went above and beyond the call of friendship as they all pitched in and worked extra hard to make up for the loss of a pair of working hands, I know that was especially trying at times especially when things get busy as they always do in a medical clinic. I was also incredibly blessed as my immediate supervisors at work covered for me and made sure my job was there and waiting for me once I was physically able to return to work. Everyone's love and patience was greatly appreciated and I am eternally grateful!

The main message I wish to convey is that I now feel it is wise and worth it to undergo the interferon/ribavirin therapy if your doctor recommends it. As those who read this blog from the beginning are aware this was not my attitude when I initially discovered I was positive for Hep C. I was a very strong advocate, not only here but on several Hep C online Message Boards for the alternative medicine route, Chinese Herbal medicine etc. Though I still believe it is probable that using those options slowed down the diseases progression and did provide some relief and allowed me to work for several years despite the infection I now know that conventional medicine was the only thing, at least in my case, which provided complete relief. I won't paint a completely rosy picture and tell anyone that interferon therapy is easy, no, to the contrary, it is a very difficult thing to undergo and does require commitment, resolve, support etc. I can honestly say now though, that I am very glad it was the decision I finally made, it was definitely worth it. Of course everyone is different so make sure you find a doctor you can trust and then please follow his advice and work with him. And don't give up hope, though it's hard at times try to stay positive which has definite beneficial effects.

To all those out there still battling, don't give up and stay positive. I know I try and send thoughts of encouragement and healing Rays of Light every day to all those I know that are fighting the battle. I know I'm not the only one, who keeps you in thought and prayer, so continue to fight the good fight and may you experience the healing power of Light and Love--So mote it be. Amen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you killed a dragon.Have replied to you on a uk forum .I tried the chinese stuff too ;it may help but it does not get rid of this squatting not nice dragon which is the prority.
Best wishes to you and wife family and friends.

Sarah xx

p.s geno twin where are earth did you get geno 3a ? I notice you're in the USA it's rare there.I'm in the uk and had this squatter ,it origins are vietnam- no never made much sense to me either given history.Never underestimate 3a though we've had probs in the uk with this one ,they tx'ed it as a 2 and came un stuck with alot of relapsers.You're free though ,can tell by your blog that you won't forget those who are not.

thankyou.

Sarah and family xx

RegentLynx said...

Thanks Sarah for the nice comments. Yes, I think you hit the nail right on the head when you say the Chinese Herbal medicine can help, to be fair I have to admit it did, at least for awhile, alleviate some of my viral syndrome symptoms I was experiencing before deciding to go the conventional Interferon/Riba combo therapy. Of course, I stopped using any Chinese herbs or any other herbs while on combo treatment. I'm sure it's not a good idea to mix the two, at least my M.D. felt it would not have been a good idea.

Yes, I know the 3a genotype is rare in the USA, so I was really surprised and relieved when I received that news as type 3a is, thankfully, a shorter treatment protocol than type 1. I had pretty much already made the decision to try combo therapy before I learned what genotype I was so never really questioned it much. I'm just very grateful about how things turned out and I can't quite put into words how blessed and grateful I feel. The best thing I can do at this point is try and be supportive of those who currently are or will be soon going through the trial of treatment. I have two very close friends who will be starting treatment in just a couple of weeks and I plan on trying to encourage them any way I can. Unfortunately, they both are Genotype 1 so will have to undergo the longer protocol. They're in my thoughts quite a bit now and I'm praying for the best for them.

Anonymous said...

I am a scientist and I am impressed at tcm's observation .In the uk our top notch hospitals will actually co operate reference skin conditions etc. Ihave tested a few out and during hcv they spotted the liver problem ( excess chi etc heat ) after tx they spotted kidney defic and chi defic which as far as I was told is exactly what happens .The tx drugs are hot and very toxic ( well they'd have to be to kill this bugger) I told no tcm doc my history ;in fact I fibbed but they all asked about chemotherapy.My problem is I know they get the diagnosis correct but I have serious concerns reference quality of herbs.If only there could be some tolerance from both sides .How is it post tx for you? we have lots of problems with recovery which I am sure tcm could help with. Herbals during tx are a no no ,partly because no matter what the pharma co's do not know how on earth riba works.I do know that diets are out on tx people must take riba with high fat foods ( proven to increase svr also quite good fun eating fat for health!) Martins forum (used to be Rons has mellowed a bit ) worth your friends checking in for advice.He can be a pig head but he does know his hcv stuff and is obsessed by the virus ( whoops he might read this ,no matter he knows I'm right) Any way I'll pm you my email on the forum.

Sarah t ( forum name)

xx